Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day [Fixed]...Buy Nothing Day...Black Friday...hmmm....

My family does not celebrate Thanksgiving because it is not really in the chinese culture even though My family and I are in America. But on Thanksgiving Day, my mom sliced up tiny pieces of turkey meat and made fried rice with it. It was an okay combination but it does not taste really good. The turkey meat were rather dried and bleh... Hearing and talking with others about their Thanksgiving brings me back to why we actually celebrated. Is it because of the pilgrims? Because we are trying to unite our families together by having all the family members sitting around the table, eating the main dish, turkey, and other dishes that comes along with it? What does Thanksgiving really means besides the giving "thanks" (which spells out in the Thansgiving word)? It seems that Thanksgiving does bring people more together and all the yummy, and warm food that the families make for the whole family gives out a nice feeling... and it kind of gives out the message of "enjoy it with your family as much as possible in one day with all the yummy foods".
On the news, I saw people lining up in a school or an organization (I am not sure) to get a Thanksgiving dinner. In a way, I see it as the school giving thanks by giving out food to the people who can't have it and the people who is lining up just wants to have the food to feed the family. What do the people who get the food give thanks in return, just by saying "thank you" and walk out? I am not too sure. Since I do not celebrate Thanksgiving, I would think of it as an extra two days off of school. For others who are celebrating Thanksgiving, in this period of time, it does not seem to have much meaning of giving thanks because as I see it in the supermarkets and elsewhere, the people are just buying food and hurrying home to finish making the preparation. In psychology class, when Thanksgiving was mentioned, a lot of people was mentioning all the food they would eat but for the meaning of Thanksgiving, there was not much of discussion for that. It shows how the meaning of Thanksgiving is slowing disappearing and the only thing we know about the meaning of Thanksgiving is giving thanks, which does not show much of appreciation? The history of Thanksgiving, when I heard it was there was a lot of versions, which also shows how the people, I don't think they mean it but they are kind of twisting the history of the Thanksgiving holiday. We are not really learning the true meaning of Thanksgiving but taking bits of pieces we hear from others and not the whole, which makes us just wanting to celebrate the Thanksgiving because it is a holiday and not celebrating because of the meaning behind the word, "Thanksgiving".

On Black Friday/Buy Nothing Day, I stay home because there was not much things I needed to buy. Hearing from some of the classmates (today), there was alot of people that went crazy with the shopping malls and other places that was holding the Black Friday Sale. Also a person got trample to death... Which is also a reason why because I do not feel like getting trample by people. An observation that I noticed is that after having the Thanksgiving feast and giving thanks out, the next day is the Black Friday and Buy Nothing Day. I feel it's more of a compeitition after a relaxing day of stuffing yourselves with yummy food. It seems that at one day they are thankful and then the next day they turn all competitive to try to get as much they need or just want to buy it because its pretty or cute. Guessing from this, I think that our American way of life style is that we do things extremely and that we tend to raise competition more. *We have more competitive power hahaha~* Maybe because the economic is falling quite down, people are trying to get the cheap stuff to save themselves but it also shows our greediness in things.

No comments: