Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Family Insurances and Healthcare

After having a conversation with my mother, I found out we have a easier insurance company than others that are in the Sicko movie or just living in a better situation with the insurance company. My family's insurance company (as my mother says in the conversation, translating from Chinese to English) is Fidelis. For my sister and I, we do not to pay for the doctor's visits, or the medicines since we are still kids. However, for my parents, they need to pay $5 for each visit, pay $3 or $6 for the medicine but not for the surgeries. My mother explained that unless the insurance company does not approve of the surgery, my mom would have to pay. Then she explained the lower the income the family has, the less they need to pay but higher income, where my mother said around $80,000, the family have to pay with their own money. 
I don't think my family has big issues with the bill because there was not a lot of emergency cases or surgeries. However, there was a time when there was a bill that came back saying my mother did pay for the surgery she had but actually she did. It was not a big commotion and after two or three times of telling the hospital or whomever, it was solved. I think my mother had told the insurance company to go and tell the hospital that she had paid the bill (with the insurance company). 

No comments: